This striking geometric landscape is signed and dated Arthur C Hilton 1930 and titled "The two towers". Clearly drawing on the European Cubist tradition, this painting has a strong English pastoral quality and in the stylised forms has affinities with Nash and Nevinson. Hilton was based in Manchester where he is represented in several Museum collections, but appears to have not been especially prolific. He is known to have been self taught and exhibited locally. This is an early piece but shows a confident handling of volumes, and prefigures the experiments of the Grosvenor School by several years.